SAPR program undergoes changes Published Dec. 27, 2021 By Staff Sgt. Zachary Vucic 108th Wing JOINT BASE MCGUIRE-DIX-LAKEHURST, N.J. -- The Sexual Assault Prevention and Response program has evolved over time to become the benchmark in victim advocacy within the Department of Defense. With that, new changes were recently made to reporting eligibilities within the SAPR program to further assist those in need. The victim will benefit from this SAPR policy change by giving them the opportunity to keep the incident confidential regardless of most situations, said Namir Laureano, 108th Wing SAPR coordinator. Victims can now opt to keep the incident confidential and are eligible to file restricted reports even if: (a) They disclosed the sexual assault incident to their commander or to personnel in the chain of command. (b) There is an ongoing MCIO investigation into the sexual assault incident initiated by a third party and not due to the victim’s disclosure to law enforcement. (c) The MCIO investigation into the sexual assault incident has been closed. Victims are also eligible to file a restricted report, providing they did not personally report the sexual assault incident to law enforcement, to include military criminal investigative organizations, and provided they did not previously elect to make an unrestricted report with a sexual assault response coordinator or SAPR VA on the same sexual assault incident. As to the reason for the change, it allows victims to receive SAPR advocacy services that facilitate access to medical and mental health care. “The SAPR program is important because it helps support and assists victims of sexual assault by providing crisis response, advocacy, and case management, said Laureano. This program serves all military personnel, dependents and DoD federal employees.” To read more about the updated policy changes visit: https://www.sapr.mil/latest-policy-updates.